Thursday, May 24, 2012

Teaching ya'll to cook, starting with the basics :)

I've had a couple requests for easy to cook, healthy recipes. I was just going to post the recipes, then I realized that those recipes really don't do anyone much good if their pantry and kitchen aren't properly stocked to begin with. I think part of the confidence to cook, and try new things is aided by not having to run out to the store for 50 zillion new ingredients. Do not run out and buy everything at once, buy a couple new things here and there or else the expense will be overwhelming. I've broken it down into three categories- pantry, spice cabinet, refrigerator. I'm not including most things like meats and produce, because those will vary by week depending on your menu choices.

Spice Cabinet-

Granulated(NOT powdered) garlic
Chili powder
Paprika
ground Cumin
Ground coriander
dried basil and oregano
rosemary
bay leaves
kosher or other good quality salt
peppercorns for a pepper grinder
steak seasoning
lemon pepper
fennel seed
curry powder
red pepper flakes

Pantry-

Coconut milk
fermented, good quality soy sauce(NOT kikoman)
Fish sauce
Oyster sauce
Flavored or plain rice vinegar
balsamic vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil
Coconut oil
red wine vinegar

Fridge-


Lemons
Limes
Cilantro
Lemongrass paste
Whole garlic cloves
red/purple onions
Yellow onions


Some of those are things that are used mostly in asian cooking. If you don't like asian food/stir fries/etc... then you don't need those things.

Also, I really recommend getting a *good* knife. You only really need one for chopping. My go-to is called a "santoku". I have a whole set of these Pure Komanchi knives in the funky colors and so far I have really liked them. They are a tad light, but are good for general use. This is the one I would suggest buying, if your only going to purchase one new knife and at $10 it can't be beat.

Pure Komanchi 2 Santoku


And while I'm at it, here are some videos with basic knife skills everyone should know :)

Smashing, peeling, mincing garlic
Dicing an Onion


Next...a couple easy recipes with my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment